Friday, 11 January 2013

The Attack of the Antifreeze Posts

Antifreeze and the danger it poses to our canine companions has taken over the internet.  This morning when I logged in to my blog, my feeds were over-run by vets, dog-bloggers and pet safety sites all detailing in agonizing glory, all the dangers that antifreeze poses to our dogs.  Each post was more and more detailed and if you tend to have a queasy sort of stomach, then I would suggest that you avoid them.  Not only were the signs and symptoms of antifreeze poisoning laid out in informative detail, but many bloggers also saw fit to describe the slow and horrifying breakdown of the poison in a dog’s body – slowly explaining how each body function disintegrates and dies.  

 Informative? Yes.  Most definitely.  But I could have happily completed my day without the horrifying images of my dog’s liver liquefying.

In the interest of information, I am temporarily adding my voice to the ANTIFREEZE DANGER chorus, but I won’t go into all the terrible details. 
  I can’t stomach it.  
It is, however, important for all dog (and cat) owners to recognize the signs and symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in their furry companions.

If your four-legged companion displays any of the following signs and symptoms after coming back from an outside romp, contact your vet IMMEDIATELY.  Leaving any form of antifreeze poisoning untreated can ultimately lead to liver or kidney failure and death!!!
  •    A seemingly unquenchable thirst
  •   Low energy levels  -- an almost “depressed” sort of attitude
  •   Difficulty walking – swaying from side to side when standing and stumbling around (drunkenly) when attempting to walk
  •   Unnaturally heavy breathing/panting coupled with a low body temperature
  •    Coughing
  • Racing heart rate
  • Ulcers in and around the mouth
  • Seizures
If your canine (or kitty) companions is displaying ANY of the above signs – especially the first three – after coming in from the backyard, a walk or the garage, contact your vet immediately.  Remember, it takes less than a teaspoon of antifreeze to poison your pet. 

Be safe this winter!

Keep your Tails Wagging
Bear’s P4ws

For more information on Antifreeze and the effects it has on your pet, the following links provide a great deal of information and description:

No comments:

Post a Comment