Sunday 22 June 2014

Street Festivals, Parades, Concerts....and Your Dog


'Tis the season for Street fairs, concerts in the park, parades and festivals… they are great places for people watching.  But today I found myself dog-watching.  I was actually surprised at the number of people who brought along their pooches out considering the incredible heat…but really, can I blame them? 
 Not really, no.  Given the chance, Bear would go with me to every "dog permissible" street fair or festival in our area....there is, however a certain amount of caution that needs to be taken when you and your pooch are going to be out in the summer heat for the whole day.  

You want to make sure that you yourself stay hydrated, as cool as possible and protected, but you also want your pooch to have the same luxuries and comforts. Also, consider the length of time that you will be walking around, and the fact that most streets tend to get pretty hot after the sun has had the chance to beat down on them for a while... 


That being said, I want to share some things to consider before you decide to take your dog to this weekend’s festival – whatever or wherever that might be.  


First, ask yourself a few questions:

  • Will my dog be comfortable at the event… or would she be happier sleeping alone at home?
  • Can I be sure my dog won’t react aggressively if an overly aggressive person approaches him? (You might be surprised at how strangers will rush up to your dog.  I see a lot of this on a day-to-day basis.)
  • Can I make sure my dog won’t get into something I don’t want her to get into? (Dropped food, trash, etc.)
  • Will it get too hot for my dog if I can’t find a spot in the shade?

If you do decide to take your best friend along to an outdoor public event, then here are a few suggestions:

  • Take along a bowl and bottled water – you might not be able to find water at the event.
  • Consider taking an umbrella for shade – just in case there isn’t any.
  • Watch for signs of stress – look for calming signals in your dog – and be prepared to leave early if your dog is stressed.
  • Be an advocate for your dog – don’t let unruly kids (or adults) make inappropriate moves toward your dog.

Bark back at us! What other tips do you have for fellow dog owners who want to bring their pooches out on Festival days?



Keep your tails wagging
Bear's P4ws

No comments:

Post a Comment