There are not many recipes out there that cater to dogs who have been diagnosed with Diabetes, making it a little harder for the Diabetic dog pet-parent. At Bear’s P4ws, we try to cater to our readers, and a request has recently come in for a treat that a reader’s diabetic pup can enjoy with great gusto.
So, without further ado, the Bear’s P4ws kitchen is happy to present our Home-made Liver Sponge treat for the Diabetic Dog.
This treat is very easy to fix, and should not be pigeon-holed as a strictly diabetic treat. Even Bear (who is not at all Diabetic) loved them, and was more than happy to play taste-tester in our most recent Tuesday Treat experiment.
½ cup whole wheat flour (can be substituted for any other flour if need be)
1 ½ pounds of beef liver, cut into pieces.
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (175 C)
2) Line a 10x15 inch pan with parchment paper
3) Optional: Lightly boil the beef liver before working with it. It helps of you’re squeamish in terms of texture and smell
4) Place liver into a food processor (or blender). Pulse until it finely chopped
5) Transfer liver into a new bowl and stir in flour and eggs
6) Spread evenly in the prepared pan
7) Bake for 15 minutes in over (or until the centre is firm).
8) Cool and cut into small squares (Bear and I made squares that were approximately 1x1 inch)
**Because these treats have meat and eggs, store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for no more than 1.5 weeks.
Original Recipe by Barb Maxwell)
Let us know if you tried this recipe at home, and if your fur-baby enjoyed them as much as Bear did.
Keep your tails wagging